Samancor Chrome was established in 1975, when a a merger occurred between 2 companies, namely SA Manganese Ltd and Amcor Ltd. Prior to the merger, SA Manganese mined manganese; while Amcor exploited mineral deposits and processed the minerals into ferroalloys for the steel industry.
The company is the second biggest global producer of ferrochrome, producing approximately 1 million metric tons of charge chrome each year.
The company is currently under the ownership of Samancor Chrome Holdings Proprietary Limited, was previously owned by shareholders BHP Billiton and Anglo American, who owned 60% and 40% respectively.
Samancor Chrome’s operations consists of mining and smelting of chrome ore. The mining takes place in the western and eastern parts of the Bushveld Igneous Complex and operates 5 smelting operations.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
Samancor Chrome will be awarding bursaries within the following fields of study:
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Mining (Rock Engineering)
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted – if you have not received any correspondence from Samancor Chrome by 30 October, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen
- Completed Matric OR currently in Matric
- Studying (1st to 3rd year) OR have been accepted to study full-time in one of the aforementioned fields of study
- Studying OR have been accepted to study at a South African University
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Download and complete the Samancor Chrome Bursary Application Form (.pdf)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric latest results, if currently in Matric
- Proof of University admission, if currently in Matric
- Matric certificate, if completed Matric (certified copy)
- Full tertiary academic record, if at tertiary level (certified copy)
Applications must be submitted in one of the following ways:
1) Email: Khuphuka@samancorcr.com
2) Fax: 086 267 3437 (Attention: Bursary Coordinator)
(Please quote the following reference number on your application: SAM21879)
(Applications for 2019 will reopen in August 2018.)
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Samancor Chrome directly:
Khuphuka Training and Development Centre
Fax: 086 267 3437