FNB Life Start Student Loans range from R4 000 to R80 000 (depending on the amount you need and your affordability criteria). You will also receive a personalised interest rate for your loan.
The student loan covers the cost of tuition fees, accommodation on campus and textbooks.
Students must reapply for the student loan each year, and credit is awarded based on affordability and credit assessments.
Please Note: it is mandatory that the student and sponsor have insurance cover in place in the event of permanent disability or death prior to settlement of the loan. FNB offer the Customer Protection Plan, alternatively you may use an insurance policy of your choice (to be approved by FNB).
PAYING BACK THE STUDY LOAN
Students will only be required to pay back the interest while studying and the remainder of the loan is due after graduation – there is a 6 month grace period offered before capital payments are due.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying:
- South African citizen
- 18 years or older
- Registered to study at a recognised tertiary institution in SA
- Sponsor must earn at least R6000/month
HOW TO APPLY
Apply in person at your nearest FNB branch.
Alternatively, you can apply online at: https://www.fnb.co.za/Sales/salesmain.jsp (Please Note: FNB may require hard copies of your documentation after online application).
You will be required to submit the following supporting documentation:
- ID document (plus a copy)
- Parents/ sponsors ID document (plus a copy)
- Parents/ sponsors Latest payslip (1 month if FNB customer OR 3 months if not an FNB customer)
- Recent utility bill
- Proof of registration at tertiary institution
- Breakdown of fees due to tertiary institution
If you have any unanswered questions, please download the FNB Student Loans FAQs