Following an intense and protracted engagement between protesting students and members of the Executive Committee of Council, it was agreed that:
- The University will suspend the decision on all fee increments made for 2016. There will be no fee increments until negotiations reach an agreement.
- The negotiations pertaining to fee increments will resume anew.
In the eventuality of negotiations breaking down, the University will not revert to its initial decision.
- A new framework for negotiations will be jointly agreed upon in which any final decision of Council on this matter will be ratified to a University Assembly.
- There will be no disciplinary action taken against students or workers who participated in the protest, and no worker will face dismissal as a result of their participation in the protest.
- The Exco of Council will advance the position of the students for a no fee increase at Council.
The University will officially be closed on Monday, 19 October 2015, to allow Council to report to a University Assembly. This includes the suspension of all University activities including lectures, examinations, assessments, practicals, etc and will affect all students and staff on all campuses including the Medical School and affiliated hospitals.
The agreement was signed by the Chairperson of the Wits Council, Dr Randall Carolissen and Ms Shaeera Kalla, the outgoing SRC President.
A full Council meeting was called on Sunday, 18 October 2015 to deliberate on the matters.
Council is expected to report to students at noon on Monday, 19 October 2015.