This follows the online learner registration website crashing on Monday after experiencing a severe system overload on the day of the launch.
During registration, parents were required to create a profile creating username, password and entering personal information and details of their children. This profile is important to track the system and for the department to communicate with the parents.
Lesufi said that the system experienced a highly unanticipated usage on the day of the launch, with over 600 applicants per second, which led it to crash.
He said that since Monday, they’ve worked tirelessly to address technical issues that caused the system to collapse and have mobilised additional support and worked on the technical glitches.
“We have also increased capacity of the system to manage large quantities of applicants. The system can now manage 3 000 applicants per second. The system has been up since this morning and we have been running stress tests to ensure its efficiency. We are glad to announce that 22 000 people have registered since the morning,” MEC Lesufi said.
However, he reported that a few residual problems have been picked up in the system, like picking up schools outside of the province, amongst others.
Other problems are that new schools do not appear on the system, in certain instances the system will give one option when choosing gender, as well as an error message will appear when parents/guardians who wish to log on to edit details.
Lesufi apologised to parents or guardians, who out of frustration caused by the system crash, attempted to contact the department for assistance and could not get through.
He said the department has noted these technicalities and is working on rectifying them. He also assured that the suspension of this process will not disadvantage any parent as this process was only meant for collection of data from parents and was not the actual application process.
“Parents who do not have access to the internet have options of going to schools to be assisted by technicians to register and apply online, visit help desks in our district offices, visit Thusanong Centres or connect through free Wi-fi hot pots.
“The actual application period will start from 19 April 2016 at 8am until midnight on 1 June 2016. Parents who had already registered on the system by creating profiles can log on and apply. Parents who have not registered will have to create a profile and then apply,” MEC Lesufi explained.
The application criteria include a school close to residential or work address, a sibling attends the same school (not applicable if the learner is in Grade 7 or 12) and a school of choice.
Documents required to complete the verification/registration and application process are ID copy of the parent, birth certificate of learner, passport and Study permit obtained from Home Affairs, as well as roof of address for home or work.
An automated SMS will be sent to the parent’s cell phone number to confirm the submission of the online application.
“Once SMS confirmation has been received it is important to submit all the required documents needed at the schools within two weeks. Placement of learners will commence from 24 June until 07 September 2016.
“For learners who are currently in Grade 1 to 6 in primary schools and Grade 7 to 11 in secondary schools, applications will be processed by schools from 11 – 29 April 2016.”