Thirty six computers, computer equipment, cables, tables, chairs and textbooks were reduced to ashes.
The North West Education and Sport Development Department on Tuesday said the ceiling and roofing of the laboratory will also need to be repaired.
“Community members who are in the school vicinity were woken up by a blaze at the school and rushed to quench the fire with fire extinguishers that were mounted at the computer laboratory. Fire fighters were also called in to tackle the blaze.
“The rest of the school building was not affected by the lightening. Teaching and learning is proceeding uninterrupted. Only computer lessons will be suspended until a contingency plan is initiated,” said the department.
The department’s MEC Wendy Matsemela expressed her shock at the incident, saying she appreciated the help of the community who assisted in extinguishing the fire.
“As the department, we wish to thank the community members that rushed to quench the fire at the school. This is a clear depiction of community and parental involvement we always advocate when difficulty affects our schools.
“This is a demonstration of parents taking pride in their schools and children’s future,” said MEC Matsemela.
The department has not finalised the cost of the damage as yet.