Here follows a summary of Wits University Council’s proposals on how it plans to address the fee increase challenge.
- Students will not pay an upfront fee.
- The fee increase proposal for 2016 has been suspended.
- Calling for transparent negotiations between the University and the student community/Wits Student Representative Council (SRC) as a matter of urgency.
- Wits will cut spending and investigate non-essential spending, and will focus financial resources on academic matters and access for students.
- Discounts for NSFAS and financially stressed students.
- Wits will continue to source additional funding form external sources.
- Wits will continue to engage with government to address the shortfall in higher education funding.
- Vice-Chancellor and Principal, Professor Adam Habib, to give up any performance bonus and redirect the monies towards access for deserving students.