Guidelines when writing an application letter:
- It should be brief, but informative
- Make sure your name, address and contact numbers are clear and correct
- Always sign the letter, even if you typed it out
- Your name should appear under your signature
- Address your letter to the correct person, or if you are not sure who the person is, address it to: 'To Whom It May Concern'
- Pay special attention to your spelling and grammar, as well as the layout of your letter, as errors will create a very poor impression and might be the real reason for your application being unsuccessful
- Make sure that paragraphs follow a logical order, in order for the reader to get a clear understanding
- Do not waste the reader's time, by including unnecessary information and sweet-talk as this might only irritate the reader and create a negative impression about the applicant
- The purpose of your letter should be included, i.e. "I am herewith applying for the position of ... which has been advertised in the ... (media) on the ... (date)"
- Provide reasons as to why you are interested in the position
- Include information on your availability for interviews
- The aim of an application letter/CV, is in fact to "sell" yourself to the reader/employer, so that he/she will invite your for a personal interview
- Your letter should be neatly and comprehensively presented in order for the reader to want to know more about you
Example of an application letter:
PO Box xxx
9 January 200x
The HR/Personnel Manager
I am herewith applying for the position of xxx as advertised in the xxx (media) on the xxx (date).
A paragraph containing your biographical details (age, marital status, country of which you are a citizen, languages).
A paragraph containing your educational background/qualifications, as well as the institutions where you obtained your qualifications.
A paragraph containing a summary/overview of your work experience, relevant to the position you are applying for.
Also include the reasons why you are interested in the position and/or why you are applying for this position at this particular company.
Concluding paragraph; expressing your hope that your application will be considered favourably and that you will hear from him/her shortly, as well as providing information on your availability for personal interviews.
Name, Surname (Mrs.)